Mar 19, 2011

Following your dreams

Dreams. I'm not talking the weird stories that run through our heads when we're asleep. I'm talking the plans, the hopes, the aspirations we have for our future; and for our now.

Dreams can be exciting and inspiring. But they can also be downright scary. Sometimes following our dreams means getting out of our comfort zone and taking a risk. Sometimes following our dreams means making decisions that others don't understand, and will possibly never understand.

I have dreams for my future; and right now, continuing with my PhD is standing in the way of those dreams. So I'm taking a break from it. It might be a permanent one. A lot of people don't understand this, and they're not shy in telling me so. But I know, in my heart of hearts, that this is what I need to do. It's scary, no doubt about it. But it's also really exciting. I can't wait to discover my future.

Dreams aren't much use if they forever remain dreams. What would have happened if Martin Luther King, Jr. had said "I have a dream...but I'm too scared to make it a reality"? Probably not much.

So live the life you were meant for. Make your dreams reality.


Speaking of dreams, I was dreaming of nachos the other week; so much so, that I just couldn't get the idea out of my head. But I had a dilemma: nachos, with their pile of crispy corn chip goodness, aren't exactly primal. So I followed my dreams and made them primal!

Primal chicken nachos

For the chicken
1 whole chicken (or you could use chicken breasts/thighs)
1 onion, chopped
400g chopped tinned tomatoes
1/4C tabasco sauce
4tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp whole black peppercorns
1 red capsicum
Salt

Roast the chicken, then take all the meat off the carcass (which you can later boil up for chicken stock) and place in a saucepan with the remaining ingredients.



Bring to the boil and then simmer for ages (until the chicken is all stringy-like!).



Alternatively, you could probably just cut up uncooked chicken pieces, put all ingredients into the crock-pot/slow-cooker, and separate the chicken with fork once cooked.

For the chips
Kumara
Coconut oil
Salt

Slice kumara thinly using a mandolin.



Heat a few tablespoons of coconut oil in a wok or deep frying pan.
Drop a handful of kumara slices into the oil, making sure they are separated, and fry until golden.


Remove chips from the pan, place on a cooling rack covered with paper towel, and sprinkle with salt.




Guacamole
1 ripe avocado
Approx. 1/2 red onion, finely diced
1 or 2 tomatoes (depending on size), diced
Juice of 1 lemon
Fresh coriander, chopped
Salt
Pepper

Mash avocado well. Add all other ingredients and combine well.


Putting it all together
Place the kumara chips around the edge of a plate, then spoon some chicken mixture into the middle (try to avoid the chips as much as possible, or they'll go soggy). Top the chicken mixture with grated cheese.



Place each plate under the grill until cheese is melted.

Served topped with guacamole, sour cream, and a bit of fresh coriander.



No comments:

Post a Comment