Jan 18, 2011

'Failure'

The other day, I wrote about pride and celebrating our successes, but what do we do when we 'fail'*...fail to meet others' expections or to meet our own?

This is something I really struggle with. I hate looking bad (read: not doing something perfectly) in front of others, and I hate it even more when I don't meet the pretty huge expectations I place on myself. In these situations, I have a tendency to try and hide it...pretend it never happened. How many of you respond the same way? How many of you avoid talking or thinking about perceived 'failures', and shut down the conversation when others bring them up? It's hard to admit to being less than perfect!

I was inspired and humbled by Bear's response to Saturday's baseline Grace workout. He was disappointed. His time was slower than his personal best (PB), and the workout didn't feel good. But instead of refusing to discuss it, he posted his time on Facebook and talked about his performance with other CrossFitters.

And why not? We can't be at peak performance every single minute of every single day. It's normal to have off days. It's normal to have strengths and weaknesses. Admitting to these is just admitting to being human.

I can, and will, learn from Bear's approach.


So in the spirit of learning...in the spirit of personal development...I am admitting to 'failing' in the kitchen last night.

We came in late from CrossFit, we had our post-workout smoothie, and I was contemplating throwing together a lamb stirfry for dinner. But I was tired. Scratch that...I was exhausted...we both were...and cooking just seemed too hard. So we ended up having what will henceforth be referred to as a 'block mash-up'. Instead of creating a delicious culinary masterpiece, I made up our blocks using tuna, yoghurt, prunes, and almonds (not all mixed together, I hasten to add!). Domestic goddess fail!

Oh well, at least lunch was pretty tasty...

Tongan Tuna Cakes
(because we're house-sitting for our friends, The Tongans, and so it was in their kitchen that these were created)


Ingredients
3 kumara, boiled to soft
1 egg
50g almond meal
196g tinned tuna in springwater (drained)
2 spring onions
2 tsp paprika
salt
pepper

Mash kumara, combine with egg and almond meal.
Stir in drained tuna, spring onions, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste.
Shape into patties (I made 8 patties, which were supposed to be approximately 1 block each...but I think we went a bit crazy on the kumara!).


Cook in butter, using a frypan or electric frypan, for approximately 5 minutes each side.
Serve with sweet chilli sauce (Bear's paleo sweet chilli recipe to be posted soon!)



*Note: 'fail' and 'failure' are used only in the context of failing to meet expectations (own or others')

2 comments:

  1. I like the good old CF chestnut "we fail at the margins of our experience"
    (a neat little blog post I'd read on this a little while back HERE http://www.crossfitnow.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=71:we-like-you-to-fail&catid=1:wods)

    Keep on pushing, babe, you're a champion. Loving watching your progress, and did I tell you how HOT you're looking?
    BOOM!
    (ps those cakes look DELISH. Must be the Tongan in me)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best cheerleader a girl could have - thanks Jojo!

    ReplyDelete