Jan 12, 2011

Pride - vice or virtue?

I felt proud of myself yesterday. Really proud. And I'm not going to feel bad about admitting it.

So often, we're told not to boast, not to 'talk ourselves up', that we should downplay our achievements. But why should we? What's wrong with having a little pride in ourselves? I'm not talking arrogance or out-of-control egos here, I'm just talking about being able to congratulate ourselves on our successes and share our excitement with those around us. The ability to do this enhances your confidence and motivates you to strive harder towards your goals. At least, it does for me.

Why was I feeling proud? Well it was nothing earth-shattering, nothing Nobel prize-worthy...just three small successes, but I feel good about them nonetheless.

Achievement #1
Yesterday's workout at CrossFit New Zealand involved unbroken reps, which provide an interesting mental and physical challenge.

5 sets:
15 unbroken pull ups
20 unbroken wall balls
25 unbroken Double unders
- restart the exercise from zero if you stop to rest or miss a rep.

This was a tough workout, and I had to modify. Modification #1 was reps - 10, 15, 20 instead of 15, 20, 25. I was hoping to be able to achieve this on the pull ups and wall balls, but I wasn't holding high hopes for the double unders, given that my previous PB had been 17. Modification #2 was to do broken sets.

Now, I didn't manage to do all the pull ups unbroken - after set 1, I was too broken for that! But I did get all the wall balls unbroken, which was pretty cool. Even better though, and what I'm really proud of...I got one unbroken set of double unders! That's right...I managed 20 unbroken double unders...and it was on the fourth set too, so I was doing them fatigued. Given that prior to Boxing Day, I couldn't even get two unbroken double unders, I am feeling pretty damn stoked.

Achievement #2
I got my first pull-up blister! I've had peeling skin & callouses on my hands from pull-ups before, but this was my first real, live blister. While I know that might not be much of a source of pride for many people, for me, it was an indication that I'd pushed myself...hard. High five (just be careful of popping that puppy!)




[Ok, so I know it's small and you can't really see it, but there really is a blister right below my index finger!]

Achievement #3
I actually remembered to measure the ingredients that went into last night's dinner! I almost forgot...I'd even picked up a regular old spoon to start throwing stuff into the pan...but then I remembered you guys and the measuring spoon. So here it is, the accurate (mostly) recipe for Almond Satay Chicken Stirfry.


Almond Satay Chicken Stirfry

Ingredients
2 onions
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 tsp red chilli
300g chicken
4 cups bean sprouts (I know these aren't technically paleo, but they were delivered in the vege box for the week, so we used them)
~ 2 cups broccoli
1 red capsicum
1 cup carrots
2 tbsp almond butter
110ml coconut cream

Fresh coriander to taste (I used lots because I like it!)

[note: these quantities gave us approximately 11 blocks carbs, 11 blocks protein, and 23 blocks fat - 3 x 2-block meals + 1 x 5-block meal. If you're not doing Zone, just chuck in whatever quantities of meat & veges you want]

1. Fry (I used a wok) onions, garlic, and chilli in a bit of olive oil. I didn't have fresh chillis or garlic, so I had to use pre-prepared stuff, but fresh would be better.
2. Add chicken and cook until white
3. Add all of the vegetables except the bean sprouts and cook until soft (or as cooked as you like them). I added a bit of water into the pan here too, to help soften them a bit.
4. Add the bean sprouts and stir through.
5. Add in the almond butter & coconut cream. Mix well and heat until simmering.
6. Stir in the coriander, serve & enjoy. If you're as lucky as me, that will be with good company, before a lovely evening at the tennis - thanks Tanya!

1 comment:

  1. And thank you LANA!! it was a perfect evening :) dinner was totally delicious :)

    ReplyDelete