Jan 13, 2011

Feel the fear…and do it anyway


Challenge – it’s what gets me up in the morning, it’s what enables the successes that give rise to the pride I talked about yesterday, it’s what pushes me to push myself. I thrive on challenge, and so challenging myself comes naturally to me. But that doesn’t stop it being scary. I can’t count how many times I’ve stood at the top of a snowboarding run; or waited in the water, attached to my wakeboard and gripping the ski rope; and wondered what the hell I was thinking when I took up those hobbies. But I’d feel the fear and do it anyway…some would say it’s because I’m a little crazy, but I prefer to think that the fact that it scared me made it that much more satisfying when I did it. By nature, challenges often are scary. They push us beyond our boundaries, beyond our comfort zone.

I can’t count the number of people I know who embody that idea, but a few particular individuals come to mind in relation to CrossFit. Our friends and family see the impact that CrossFit has had on our lives – after all, it’d be hard to miss it. And even if they had managed to remain completely blind to the changes in us, they’d be hard pushed to get us to shut up about it…we’ll talk the ears off anyone who expresses even a slight interest in what it is that we do! So naturally, it’s sparked some interest amongst our loved ones…but also some fear. So many people have said to me ‘oh, I wouldn’t be fit enough for CrossFit’, or ‘it sounds great, but I’d be scared that I’d end up looking stupid’. Well, some brave people we know are pushing their boundaries, leaving their comfort zones, and giving it a shot. To Tash, to my Mum, and to Bear’s sisters – we’re so proud of you for feeling the fear, and doing it anyway.

Now, I reckon it’d be wrong of me to talk others into challenging themselves without taking on some scary challenges myself, so I’ve been doing just that. CrossFit New Zealand (who will be referred to as CFNZ from now on) is running a 'Grace' challenge. 'Grace' is one of the CrossFit benchmark workouts, involving 30 x power clean and jerks at 60kg (for men) or 40kg (for women), as fast as possible. My clean and jerks suck. Like, seriously. It would be so much easier for me not to sign up for this challenge. So I did. Baseline is Saturday…and I’m scared.

Blogging also scares me. This wasn’t the first time someone had tried to persuade me to start a blog, but I didn’t think my experimenting in the kitchen was worthy of a blog, or that anyone else would want to read anything I had to say. But thanks to Bear’s encouragement, I did it anyway, and I’m loving it.

And as much as I love my kitchen time, I also love it when someone else cooks for me…but that challenges me too. You may have noticed already that I’m a textbook Type A – I like to be in control. Letting go in the kitchen is not easy for me. But I did, and I was rewarded with an amazing meal for it (guest post coming soon to a computer near you). Thanks Bear – I think I might just challenge myself more often!

Another challenge that I’m undertaking is to get better at post-workout nutrition. I often don’t eat for an hour or so after a CrossFit workout, which is not ideal. Bear’s great at post-workout nutrition, so I’m trying to learn from him. Last night we realised that we didn’t have anything to make our morning post-workout smoothie with, so we ventured to the supermarket at 10pm. I was planning on an avocado, apple & spinach smoothie, which I love (despite my original scepticism about avocado in smoothies). However, fate was against us – we couldn’t get any ripe avocados. So we ‘freestyled’ and settled for coconut milk as our fat content. I threw it all in the blender, added some spices for extra flavour, flicked the switch, and watched it all turn green. Taking the lid off the blender, I admit I was a bit worried – it smelt a little funky – but I got my brave on and tried it anyway. Delicious!

It would have been even better if we’d actually remembered to take it to the workout with us this morning! Oh well, it’s the thought that counts, right?!?



Funky Green Smoothie

4 eggs
4 cups of spinach
1 and ½ granny smith apples
400ml coconut milk
Nutmeg
Cinnamon

(4 blocks carbs, 4 blocks protein, 16 blocks fat)

1.     Throw everything into a blender (you might have to add half the spinach to begin with, then the other half once it’s blended down a bit)
2.     Blend on high
3.     Chill
4.     Remember to take it with you to your workout

No comments:

Post a Comment