Jan 10, 2011

Measuring Fail (or 'Paleo Pancakes')

If you read my last (first? last?...that's kind of confusing...) post, you'll know that I mostly have a 'freestyle' approach to cooking. On Friday morning, I made some super yummy almond meal pancakes, sort of based on several different recipes found on the internet, but mostly just a case of chucking some stuff in until the mixture seemed like the right consistency. Which worked fine. Until Bear posted about the pancakes on facebook, and people started asking for the recipe. So I decided to repeat the process on Saturday morning, this time taking note of how much of everything I used.

Of course, it all went wrong. My ever-helpful boyfriend commented that it was actually a good thing that it went wrong because it gave me something to blog about. I was not impressed. I’d rather have nothing to write about and have it go right.

Never mind...with a bit of adapting, they turned out good enough...and perhaps I'll refine the recipe next time & re-post for those who are interested.

Almond Meal Pancakes


Ingredients
1 banana, mashed
1 egg
½ tbsp almond butter
½ C almond meal (I think...I used too much, so they were a bit crumbly...1/2 a cup is a bit less than I used when it went wrong!)

Combine mashed banana, egg & almond butter in a bowl.

Add almond meal & stir well.

Fry spoonfuls of the mixture over low to medium heat in butter or coconut oil (or your preferred fat for cooking).

Helpful hints
Keep the pancakes on the smaller side, or they’re a real b&#ch to turn.
[Acutally, this one's not so helpful...]This mix doesn't tend to give you those handy little bubbles that tell you when it's time to flip the pancakes, so you have to guesstimate a bit. You want the edges to start browning before you flip them, which probably took about 2-3 minutes. I also found they needed longer on first side than the second. 

Serve with bacon, fruit, yoghurt...

...a sexy man…


...whatever takes your fancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment