May 11, 2011

In control...or in denial?

I'm one of those people who like to feel 'in control', pretty much all the time. It's my comfort zone, my safety net. All is right in my world when I feel like my fingers are on all the right buttons.

See...I'm so organised I even took a cooler bag of food down to Palmerston North for the day, so I could ensure I stuck to my paleo diet!

When they're not - when things happen to throw my carefully crafted management strategies out of kilter - I panic. I feel lost, and anxious, and if I'm honest, a little betrayed - since when does life have the right to interfere with my plans?!

But life doesn't really care about my best-laid plans; my carefully thought-out timelines; or my ideas about what's best for me. Life goes ahead and interferes anyway - throws the cat amongst the pigeons, if you like.

And a good thing it does, too.

See, it turns out, sometimes I get so involved in my plans, timelines, schedules, and lists, that I forget to stop, look around, and appreciate what's going on right now. Sometimes my priorities - my faith, my relationships, my health - get buried underneath the lists and plans. Sometimes, life reminds me that I don't always know what's best.

So I'm going to try to be thankful for those times when life interrupts my conversation with myself. After all, what better opportunity to reevaluate, reassess, and re-prioritise?

1 comment:

  1. Trust in the bigger picture gorgeous - life has a funny way of working out xx

    ReplyDelete